Have you ever thought about how you can use psychology to improve your website? Psychology is the study of the human mind and how it works. There’s a lot to it, and it crosses over into everything from normal human relationships to the way that people perceive things in the world.
Everyone lives in their reality. In fact, it has been argued that there is no reality except for one’s reality. This means that it helps to know a little psychology to understand how your visitors think when they enter your site.
Another important point to remember regarding this idea is that you should avoid doing things just because you want to or because you like it. Instead, you should study what your customers want in various ways using metric analysis and other means so that you have a greater understanding of what they want.
Below are some of the best ways that you can study what your customers want so that you can deliver the content they find the most valuable.
Ways to Analyze Your Customers’ Values
To figure out what your customers value, there are some things you can do. A few of them are listed below.
- Google Analytics– Google Analytics is one way that you can assess what your customers want. It has multiple tools that help you assess what your customers want. This well-known tool created by Google allows you to do experiments on some different variables and metrics that will give you insight on your customer behavior.
- Kissmetrics– Kissmetrics is a robust internet marketing company owned by Neil Patel. It is a paid application that helps you analyze what your customers are doing on your page. Unlike Google Analytics, they focus on the most important analytical tools that will help you dissect the information that your customers are after.
- Surveys and Polls– You can create your own surveys and polls online using tools such as Survey Monkey and other similar applications.
- Customer service emails– Use your customer service emails to find out what your customers are wanting. Look for social media comments, especially the ones that address problems that they have brought up. Try to figure out what your visitors and customers want and let this guide some of your future business plans for your website.
- Color studies– You can study the meanings of different colors in order to analyze how color affects people. For example, blue is a color that is soothing and calming. It is also a color that is often chosen for artistic type business models. Orange is a cheery color that is more playful. Red creates excitement and high emotion. Having a general knowledge of color and its meaning will help you to choose color wisely for your website in ways that will positively influence your visitors’ experience.
Listen to your customers
Just like a psychologist does in a counseling session, it is important that you listen to your customers. This can happen in emails, online webinars, videos, or social media posts. It can happen in a variety of ways. The important thing is that you hear what your customers are saying when they communicate with you.
This will give you an incredible amount of insight into planning your website and can serve as an excellent guideline in planning your web design.
The goal in web design should be to create a purposeful, useful site that your customers can benefit from and that provides them with information that will help them in some way.
Remember that you do not have to do everything your clients or customers want. You should just focus your website on some of the values that your customers consider important to them and offer some important aspects that they will find valuable on your site.
Analyze examples in your niche area.
Another way that you can create a great website that will please your intended audience is to study what others are doing within your niche area. Studying what others are doing in your niche area will give you a few ideas on how others are representing their brand. You should never emulate others’ ideas exclusively, but it can serve as some inspiration on how to proceed with your own.
Know how the mind works.
Another way to use psychology (other than striving to understand what customers want) is to have a better understand of the mind. For example, did you know that using an animated video on your website will improve the retention rate of your content by up to 92%? (Dr. Richard Wiseman, Sparkol.com)
The more you understand of these types of statistics and how the brain interprets information, the better you will be able to improve the user experience that you are providing for your customers on your website.
The Nextweb.com site has some ideas on how to use psychology in your web design by focusing on creating a relaxing and comfortable environment when customers first enter your site. This introduces an interesting concept known as neurodesign.
What is Neurodesign?
Neurodesign is a new field of study in Psychology that looks into the impact of certain stimuli on the human brain as measured by an increase in brain activity. The more brain-friendly something is, the more the activity will increase in various regions of the brain.
Advertisers and web designers are just starting to tap into this field of study to create designs that will increase brain activity and provide users with a positive experience. Likewise, the article from Nextweb.com cited previously shows how you can use this knowledge to make the user feel at home with your website. This same principle also applies to product development as well.
Where to Start
So where should you start when it comes to creating the effective web design for your customers that coincides with the psychology of how the human mind works. First, read all you can on the topic of neuroscience and how you can use the knowledge of psychology to improve your site design.
Steps to Creating a User-friendly Website that Applies Psychological Principles
Now that we’ve covered some of the most important aspects of site design and psychology, let’s bring it all together.
- Make it functional, as well as visually appealing, using colors that appeal to people on a broader scale and alert the neurotransmitters in a positive, non-threatening way.
- Listen to your customers and what they want through the use of surveys, polls, and personal communications.
- View other websites in your niche area and get inspired from others who have an understand of these principles.
- Finally, hire an expert web team such as webdesignteam.com to help you create the perfect site that uses these principles of the human brain and design to create something magnificent!
We have years of experience and a great understanding of how to make a website functional, aesthetically pleasing, and excellent.
See our portfolio and then contact us so we can help you brainstorm ideas on how to create your website. We’ll get to work right away on your project!
That’s what you get with webdesignteam.com.